The Delta Marina Yacht Harbor was established in November 1959 by Jack, Richard and Flossie Baumann. It was established out of what was known as the St Joseph’s Cut which dates back to the early 1900s. Before the bridges were built in this area, a boat was a necessity to farmers on the river. The Cut provided a place for barges and boats to be moored by the farmers who frequently had to transport sheep, cattle and work horses to ranches on the many islands in the Delta. On the side of the Cut, grazing cows and the Joseph Bruning home were all that occupied the entire river frontage in this section Eventually, the Bruning house was remodeled and turned into a boys’ military academy, St. Joseph’s, which as well known throughout Northern California, and after many years was moved to Belmont. Rio Vista itself was touched by the magic of the Big Four of early California, when the Crocker, Hopkin, Stanford and Huntington interests leased river frontage and Main Street (then called Wharf Street) up to Front Street, where river water often was deep enough for small boats to anchor. The Big Four used Rio Vista as a stopping point for shipping from the hills of the Motor Lode to the busy docks of San Francisco
At this time, small houses and houseboats began to line the banks of the Cut, the houseboats paying $1.50 rent per month to the firm Sullivan and Larson who managed the property. A huge redwood culvert was built under Second Street where you entered the Marina. Rains from the adjoining Montezuma Hills drained through and kept the Cut full of fresh water during the winter months.
As time passed, high flood waters disappeared, as did the grazing cows, slaughter house and commercial fishing boats; and pleasure craft took over.
Back in 1959, Jack Bauman and is brother, Richard, a Washington farmer, purchased the 14 acres known as the Cut, had the harbor dredged out, built berths and incorporated the Delta Marina Yacht Harbor. They opened for business in June of 1960. In the ensuing years, more berths were added as the demand materialized and as the bank account allowed. (The marina is maxed out now, with 255 berths for boats up to 45 feet.). They eventually added the RV Park and many other amenities.
They started construction on the 7,000 sq ft. Point Restaurant in February of 1964 and opened in June. Over the years, they continued to add on and improve the facility to make it one of the most well-known restaurants on the Sacramento Delta.
The Point was closed for a short time when Jack retired. Jack’s son, Jim and wife, Vickie decided that the family business needed to keep going, so after buying the business from the family, they re-opened the Point “Waterfront” Restaurant in April 1994 and continued to run it for over 20 years.
In 2015, Antonio DeGonzalez took over The Point Restaurant and we have been going strong ever since. Antonio also runs 3 other restaurants in Rio Vista; Burgerlicious, Tortilla Flats and Tortilla Flats #2 and a 4th restaurant, Gunters in South San Francisco. He believes in excellence and strives for the highest customer service. He strives to provide anything the customer wants. He truly cares about his guest’s happiness and experience. You will often see him sitting at a table chatting with guests. He is very involved in being at the restaurant and tackling whatever needs to be done, whether it’s on the cook line, or fixing/cleaning something.
The Point has become one of the most popular and highly rated restaurants on the Sacramento Delta. We currently are holding 5 stars on Yelp and Facebook and have been named the 2nd best waterfront restaurants on the Delta. We have accomplished that due to the success of a highly competent and professional team of employees.
Photo by Debi Joranco Arellano